Thursday, July 11, 2013

Shopping Confessions: Navigating Sales

I was going to do a different post this week but a stomach virus that's knocked me out for the last few days got in the way.  I'll spare you all the gory details, but one of the few things that cheered me up (aside from Mr. C bringing me gatorade and ginger ale.  He's a keeper), was getting an email from Nordstrom reminding me that I qualified for early access to their anniversary sale.

Not going to lie I have been looking forward to this sale for quite a while.  This is where Nordstrom rolls out a lot of items for the fall/winter season and the markdowns are usually pretty fabulous.   Now, I may have a slight weakness for a good sale.  But, in the past, I've often let my love of a good deal lead me to buy things that I didn't really need or love, just 'cause they were a good price.  It's one of the reason I ended up with a closet full of clothes that I don't like to wear or that aren't practical for my lifestyle.   I'm staring at you, wool dress shorts.  What was I thinking that it would work for business casual?

My first instinct when I realized that sales weren't the BFFs I'd always thought they were, was just to avoid them all together.  A cold break-up.  But, who am I kidding, that didn't last a hot minute.  Instead, I find it's MUCH more productive to come up with a list of the things that I'm looking for.  That way, if I see an item from the list, that's on sale, I can pounce on it without any buyers guilt.  It also helps me ignore all the shiny pretty things calling my name.  Not on the list? Get behind thee behind me silky maxi-dress siren!

Of course, it's not fool proof, but that's what free shipping and free returns are for, right?.

So, what are the items I'm looking for right now?

Number 1 on my list is a bag for grad school.  I'm pretty picky.  It has to be large and sturdy enough to carry around my laptop and any school supplies (Do kids these days even carry books anymore?), but also professional enough to take to interviews.  Here are a couple of the current contenders:
Vince Camuto
 
Kate Spade
I'm also in the market for a new pair of boots.  I bought a cheap pair last year and they didn't hold up well at all, so I've been thinking of investing in something nice that will (hopefully) last.

This Tory Burch pair is kind of the ideal but the shaft might be too long for my short legs (err, that's what she said)
Less of a priority, but also on my list are a pair of booties.  I want something that I could throw on to toughen up a girly dress (ideally, with some sort of leather motorcycle jacket that I don't yet own.  Hmmm, something else to add to the list).  
Sam Edelman
Joe's Saki Bootie





Clark's Rosepoint Dew Bootie
* * *
So, those are my top items for the anniversary sale.  Of course, if a few shiny pretty things make their way into my wardrobe, please don't judge.   What about you? Do you have a strategy for shopping sales or do you just wing it?

No comments:

Post a Comment