Friday, December 20, 2013

Home Sweet Home (and new jeans)

It's amazing how quickly we forget things. Despite the fact that I spent 7 years living in DC. I still somehow got lost on the metro on Wednesday after arriving from New York. Definitely missed my transfer stop. It didn't really matter though 'cause I was so happy to be on break and to see Mr. C.  (If you saw a girl wandering the metro with a huge smile on her face, that was me.) On another note, to the girl tweezing her eyebrows while riding the train. That seems like a really bad idea. Also, if you're worried about personal grooming, I would take care of the grown-out highlights first. Just a thought. 

* * *
Speaking of how quickly we forget things. I have a small confession. Despite the fact that I've talked over and over again about how I own too much denim, I may have added a new pair of jeans to my collection. But, wait!!! It's not just any pair of jeans. On Monday, attended an event hosted by our Luxury Retail club to give us a sneak preview of Ayr, the new women's line Bonobos is launching with two female designers, Maggie Winter and Jac Cameron. (On a side note, if you've never been to the Bonobos Headquarters, definitely make an appointment and check them out. If you're a man, it seems like it would be a really cool shopping experience.) I was the first person to show up and so I got to spend a lot of time talking to the designers and the Ayr whole team, which was really cool. 

The concept behind Ayr is to create simple, timeless pieces that women can wear year-round. As someone who is focusing on adding strong, foundation pieces to her wardrobe, this definitely resonated with me. It reminded me a lot of the philosophy behind Everlane.  Jac Cameron talked to me about all the work they did to create premium jeans, that would hold their stretch (aka you don't ever have to throw them into the dryer to shrink them), and would be so comfortable that "you could do yoga in them". 

If you don't already know from reading this blog, all those things basically combine to form my own personal cryptonite. And, I knew that I had to try them on. (I mean how often do you get to model jeans in front of the designer?) However, as a jeans hoarder connoisseur, I was slightly skeptical about the emphasis on stretch. Typically really stretchy jeans or pants aren't flattering on me. If you have muscular legs AND small calves, you know that a lot of pants can pool at your knees or give your quads an odd amount of definition. 

The Ayr jeans defied all of that. They currently have two styles: the "skinny" (exactly what it sounds like) and the "ciggy", which is a cropped style that has a very slight flare. I ended up trying on both. First, and I don't know how else to say this. These might be the most comfortable things I've ever put on my body. Normally, when I come home I change into PJs or sweatpants to lounge around in. But, I wore these all day yesterday and even took a nap with them on. It was only the strange looks from Mr. C that made me decide to take them off before I went to bed

Secondly, check all of your/mine prejudices against stretchy jeans at the door. These are not at all like jeggings. I don't know how they do this, but somehow they're both structured and stretchy. It's like magic. As much as I love my AG jeans, I have found that they've stretched out a lot and haven't held their shape (possibly because I wear them too much). The Ayr jeans definitely conform to your figure and don't seem to stretch out, even after wearing them all day.  I'm really curious to see how they wear in the long-run.

I ended up falling in love with the ciggy (though I am strongly considering the "skinny" when my beloved AG jeans bite the dust). First, it has a little bit more of the structured feel that personally I really like.  Plus it also comes in the most amazing indigo color that you don't see a lot. One thing that really sold me on these jeans was the material. Even my lightest jeans don't get a lot of wear in the summer. But these felt really breathable and I'm excited to test them out over the summer months. On the downside, I'm also slightly concerned about them being warm enough for NY winters, but I'll have to test that after break.

* * *
If you want to check the Ayr collection out for yourself, you can take a look at the on-line denim pop-up shop or you can shop the full line in February. This is definitely a company that I'm going to be watching over the next year.  I'm excited to see what they come up with next.

P.S. Thanks to Ayr, Bonobos and the Luxury Retail club for hosting this event!


No comments:

Post a Comment