Thursday, January 2, 2014

New Year--New Resolutions

Happy New Year! Am I the only one still in denial that 2013 is over? It wasn't until I looked back that I realized what a big year this was for us. In many ways it was an awesome year (starting grad school, working on this blog, moving up to New York) and in others it was a really tough year (being away from Mr. C. Moving twice. Being away from Mr. C . . .).  

Do you make New Year's resolutions? I know it's cheesy and it's built on a fairly arbitrary point in time, but I secretly love them. I find the new year is a good opportunity to take stock of my life and evaluate what I want to accomplish over the next 365 days. I keep my more personal/life goals to myself, but I wanted to share some of the fashion/style resolutions that I've made for 2014. 

1. Get back to a regular posting schedule

This is related to a broader goal of getting a better school/life balance . . . 

2. Finish my closet cataloguing experiment

With all of our big changes over the last year, I kind of fell behind in keeping my closet updated. One of the biggest problems is that I wasn't good about updating my list after donating a bunch of items.

3. On a related note, I'd like to finally get rid of any items that are old, don't fit anymore, or that I don't wear. 

. . . I'm tired of carting around clothes that I don't need!

4. Focus on building up my foundation pieces.  

I want to buy more high-quality classic items that I know will carry me through the rest of school and into whatever job I end up in afterwards. 

5. Be disciplined and only buy items that I love and that fit with my personal style. 

It's tempting, especially now with all of the sales to fall into the trap of just buying for the sake of buying rather than because it's the best item for me. I'm determined to break this habit this year.

6. Be more conscious of where my clothes are coming from. 

This is a hard one--for one thing, it's difficult to know where your clothes are actually made. Even if they're made in the US, you don't know where the dyes or fabrics are coming from. And, it can be easy to just stop asking questions and accept whatever the tag says. Also, I'm not against outsourcing to other countries. However, I do struggle with the idea that no one is ensuring that these factories are safe places to work. Is that the government's job? The company's? Ours as consumers? All of the above? Those are questions outside the scope of this blog. But, they are issues I want to think more about about before I buy something. 

* * * 

So, there you go! Did you make any fashion-related resolutions this year? Other than the obvious one, figuring out what Pantone really meant by naming "Radiant Orchid" the color of the year? 


No comments:

Post a Comment