Thursday, March 21, 2013

State of the Closet: Breaking it Down

Looking at my tops by rating was kind helpful . . . to a certain extent. It's good to know that nearly half of my tops fail to meet the criteria of "buying things that make me feel great", but that doesn't necessarily help me figure out what I have too much of or what I need to buy.

When I looked at my jeans, it was fairly straight forward.  Yes, I could differentiate them by style and wash but otherwise it was pretty simple.  Tops are a different story.  After all, this is a category that includes everything from sweaters and button-ups to t-shirts.  And that's just the starting point, there's color, purpose, rating . . .   (ahhhh!!! data meltdown!!! I kid, I kid . . . )

I could have chosen any one of those factors as a starting point for looking at my data, but I decided to begin with purpose.  It felt like there was a pretty big divide in my closet between work-wear and casual or weekend-wear and I wanted to see if there were any patterns or trends if I looked at my tops by both purpose and rating.



Hmmmm, this might explain why I have trouble getting dressed for work in the morning . . .

I know these ratings are entirely subjective, but I wasn't expecting such a stark divide between how I feel in my work items and how I feel in my weekend-wear.  (Geez  . . . I hope this isn't a reflection on how I feel about my job, 'cause that would be awkward).  This is definitely something I'm going to have to keep an eye on and see if it's a broader trend across my entire wardrobe.  I might also want to see if there any commonalities in the items that make me "Feel Like a Million Bucks!".  Maybe there's something that I'm doing right when I'm shopping for weekend-wear that I'm not applying to shopping for work-clothes.

It was also interesting to me how few "cross-over" items I owned--items that could be worn for both the weekend and to work.  I want to do a post soon on value and thinking about "investment" pieces, but a good place for me to start might be in purchasing more tops that both make me feel great and are dual purpose.  Obviously this is just the starting point and I'm going to want to look at some of the other factors (spoiler alert: style/cut is a big one), but I feel like I have a much better idea of some of the problem areas in my closet.  On that note, happy almost friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment