Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Treemaps and other happy things

Exciting news!!!! (at least to me) Today we have a pretty graphic!!!! I discovered this site Infogr.am that lets you upload your own data into different kinds of charts and, voila!, pretty graphics.  And, yes pretty graphics are to me, what bright shiny objects are to squirrels.

You've probably seen treemaps on different sites, but they're a nice way of seeing how items relate to each other within a dataset.  I thought it would be a good to visualize the items in my closet.  In the spirit of being completely honest and open about what I have, I wanted to include everything I've counted so far, including the items I might donate.  That way I have a baseline to use in the future.
Without further ado, here is what my closet looks like right now, as of March 12, 2013 at 8:53 pm.



Remember when I announced that I had waaay more bottoms than tops? Yeah, not so much.  As you can see, blouses, t-shirts, and sweaters are the biggest categories in my closet.  This is a lesson in why you shouldn't announce any "findings" before you have all of your data.  That's data analytics 101 and I should have known better.

If I filter out the items that I'm going to donate it only gets a slightly better, but it's still not what I initially thought.


Besides the obvious point that I jumped to conclusions about my closet without having all the information, I am going to have to take a closer look to see if there's more going on here.  In the meantime, please excuse me while I go make some more pretty pictures . . . 

(On a side note, I've been trying to make treemaps with my data at work for forever, and it took starting a blog to find an easy software that does it for me.  Figures.  But I'm loving infogr.am and highly recommend it if you want to play around with ways to visualize your data)

No comments:

Post a Comment