Monday, March 18, 2013

Editing Your Closet

Happy Monday! I am definitely still recovering from St Patty's day in weekend mode.  So I thought I'd skip a data analytics post today and instead talk about this article form goop.com that one of my friends sent me.  In the article, Gwyneth Paltrow talks about spring cleaning her project.  Now, I certainly can't afford a professional closet organizer service and Gwyneth and I don't face the same problems with our closets.  (For example, I am not too worried about whether to keep or donate a Stella McCarthy blazer).  But, I did like the six guidelines she listed for cleaning out your closet.  My favorites were numbers five and six:

That point about letting go of things that you don't wear is important.  Too often, when I buy something that was an obvious mistake (ahem, staring at you short-alls.  Yes, I don't know what I was thinking), if I don't return it right away, it just sits in my closet.  I don't like it enough to wear it (or common sense kicks in) but I feel too guilty about the purchase to give it away . . . it feels wasteful.  But, in fact, I could pass it on, make more room in my closet for better purchases, and maybe someone else can make the same mistake it can bring joy to someone else

Number six is something I've been thinking about a lot (though I do love how cashmere sweaters are lumped in with casual wear.  Yes, I just hang out in cashmere in jeans all the time, don't you?).  It's only taken me 27 years, but I've realized that the things I really love and feel great in, are the things I wear.  I know.  Rocket science here.   It's the kind of the idea I'm trying to get at in my rating system to help me cull out items that I don't feel good in, ergo don't wear and that take up space that I could be filling with cashmere and vintage YSL (I wish).

On a side note:  I really like how she decided to turn cleaning out her closet into a way to help her favorite charities.  It's inspired me to do something similar with my closet.  I haven't decided how to do this yet.  For example, I'm not sure a charity auction for my clothes would be as successful.  But, I would like to take this as an opportunity to "pay it forward".  I'll keep you updated once I figure out the best way to do this. 

2 comments:

  1. It is nice to donate unused items and reduce your closet footprint, but most people aren't hurting for space and there are already more clothes than people.

    Is there something else going on here that's more important? What's your fashionableness / dollar ratio? You've identified corners of style that are over-provisioned (boot cut dark wash jeans). Which area is most under-served? If you could buy one item, what would give you the most bang for your buck?

    This all assumes that the ultimate goal is a balance of fashionableness (is this a word?) and efficiency. However, the real goal is probably happiness. How much pleasure is derived from frugality (knowing that each purchase will have good value)? How much from the process of getting ready every day in light of what is or is not in your closet? After you close your closet, how will you feel about how you look? How much does this depend on looking different than the days or seasons before? Do you regret the missed opportunities of the outfits that sit in your closet on their hangers, or at the store awaiting your discovery?

    How well do you think today's outfit exemplifies the person you are and that you aspire to be? Do others perceive this in the same way?

    These are the questions that plague many women and some men every day. Your analysis is a brilliant start to solving fashion crisis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for you comment! I totally agree and you're touching on the ultimate goal of this project, which is to find the balance between fashionableness (I like that as a word), quality, price, and my lifestyle. I'm hoping to touch on some of that with a post on some of the gaps I see in my wardrobe and where I should be directing future purchases. Appreciate your thoughts and feedback!

      Delete