Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Planning: Data Journeys (Continued)

 

Armed with my 6 buckets, the next step was to define the data I was going to capture under each category.  Some things were easy.  Seasons? Four of them (if we’re not counting resort wear). Boom. Stores I shop at? Quick look at my web browsing history. Done.  Then, I got to Item Type and Style and Color . . . and got stuck.  How much detail should I go into? Was it important to distinguish between a blouse and a collared button-up? Should I stick to primary colors or do I want to know how many fuchsia vs. hot pink items I owned? (Answer: one of each).  In the spirit of complete disclosure, I wasted a lot of time on this before realizing that the answer was right in front of me.   A lot of my favorite store websites had nice, user-friendly filters for the exact same things I was trying to define. If Nordstrom and Anthropologie had already done the work for me, why reinvent the color wheel? 

 

With a little tweaking and a couple of additions, voila!
Type
Style/Cut
Color
Purpose
Season
Rating
Brand/Store
Pants
Jeans
Shorts
Cropped/Ankle
Boot cut
Straight-leg
Skinny
Trouser/Wide-leg
Beige
Black
Blue
Brown
Green
Gray
Metallic
Off-White
Orange
Pink
Purple
Red
White
Yellow
Multi
Work
Play
Work & Play
Dress-Up
Spring
Summer
Fall
Winter
Hate it
Meh
Like it, Don’t Love it
Wardrobe Staple
Feel Like a Million Bucks
AG
American Apparel
Ann Taylor/Ann Taylor Loft
Anthropologie
Banana Republic
Club Monaco
Everlane
Express
Gap
H&M
J. Crew
Madewell
Nordstrom
Old Navy
Paige
Urban Outfitters
Zara
Other
Skirt
Dress
A-line
Pencil
Mini
Maxi
Blouse
T-Shirt
Sweater
Cardigan
Collared Button-Up
Long-Sleeve
Short-Sleeve
Sleeveless/Tank Top
Tunic
Blazer
Coat
 


Not going to lie, my inner data-nerd is pretty excited by this table.  Probably more than is healthy. Now, I’m going to remind myself I actually socialize with people and don’t just talk to myself on the internet all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment