Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Planning: Building a Roadmap

As anyone who has done any work in evaluations or data analysis knows, the first step in designing a project is figuring out what questions you want to answer.  Those questions become the guiding post for determining what data you need to collect.  Else you can end up with a lot of interesting "facts" or "trends" but no usable information.

 
Starting out, I had a ton of questions I wanted to answer.  The opportunities were endless! But, I realized that unless I want to give up my social life and spend the next year staring at my closet, I had to whittle the list down and make it more realistic.  (Though, without a social life I guess all I'd need were sweatpants, so problem solved!).  
 
So, here are the questions I'd like to be able to answer.  I've divided them into core questions, that represent my big picture goals, and side questions that it would be nice to answer but I can probably live with out:
 
Big Picture Questions
  1. What do I actually own?
  2. What do I actually wear and what do I love wearing? (conversely, what can I get rid of?)
  3. Given my lifestyle (9-5 job, active, big social circle), what do I need to buy to make my wardrobe more functional?
  4. What is my personal style? (not sure if this is a question data can answer for me, but we'll see!)
  5. Once I have all the basic pieces, what should I be buying to make my wardrobe more me?
Side Questions--in no particular order:
  1. Do I own a lot of any specific color?
  2. How much do I normally spend on clothes? 
  3. Are the things I spend more on, things I wear more often?
  4. What brands do I buy from the most?
  5. Ummm, what should I wear on Monday?

No comments:

Post a Comment