Monday, February 18, 2013

(Data) Models

The first time I heard of "modeling" outside of the context of fashion models was in a college math class.  (Does it surprise you that I was a math minor?)  In order to satisfy my degree requirements, I had to take an elective called "Mathematical Modeling".  The class was pretty theoretical and since I had a severe case of senioritis, I didn't absorb much.  Luckily (?) for me, that wasn't the last time I came across the idea of models.  In the data world, modeling is usually talked about in the context of building databases or enterprise-wide systems.  Basically it's the concept that you need to build a blueprint of what you want your  "perfect" system to look like to use as a guide when building out your system.  You can also use it as a way to measure the performance of your existing systems.**

Now, I'm not building a database but some of the same principles apply.  If my list of questions are the road map, the "model closet" is the destination.  I know, I know I made fun of those lists that claim to be the ten or twenty essential things you need for your closet, but, in theory, they kind of have the right idea--they offer a blueprint to follow in putting together a functional wardrobe.  The problem is they aren't customized for me, or you, or anyone's (woman, man, merman, what have you) real, individual lives and needs.

So what would my "model closet" look like?  One that's customized for my unique preferences and needs? At this point I still only have a hazy idea, but I do know some of the basic criteria my ideal closet would have to follow.

  1. Most of my life is spent inside an office cubicle, so as much as I love casual wear, the majority of my wardrobe should be for my 9-5 job.  On the simplest level, I need to be able to put together at least 20 professional outfits a month (5 outfits a week x 4 weeks)
  2. I need to be able to transition through four, distinct seasons (maybe that means a lot of layering pieces, I'm not sure)
  3. In order to get the most value out of my closet, I should probably have 2-3 tops for each bottom (skirt or pants).  That's not a scientific number, but it's a personal rule-of-thumb I apply while shopping.  
I know that's pretty basic and it doesn't really look anything like a "model" closet, but that's the dirty little secret of data modeling.  You don't have to get it right the first time.  You start with a vague idea of what something should look like and then as you learn more about your goals or process, you keep tweaking it until you get something that works ;)



**I am by no means an expert in data modeling.  If you're curious about it, this post is an excellent starting point.

1 comment:


  1. Hey,

    Thanks for sharing this blog its very helpful to implement in our work






    Regards.

    Miiabyt Fashion

    ReplyDelete