Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Back to the Top(s)


If you haven't noticed by now, I really, really like cheesy puns.  I like to pretend it's one of my more endearing qualities and less the fact that I have a five year old's sense of humor.

It's been a few weeks since I've talked about my issues with my work tops (yes, I realize I sound like I'm in a bad relationship with my clothes and you're my therapists).   Since then, I've been taking a closer look at 

One of the first thing I noticed was that a lot of the tops that I didn't like (ahem those five button-ups to start with) where pretty old.  I mean, I've been with some of them longer than I've been with Mr. C and we're going on seven years.  Most of them were hold overs from when I thought the professional uniform was a long-sleeve button-up shirt and slacks or a skirt.  I also went through a phase where, if I found one item I liked, I bought it in every color.  Turns out that is an easy way to get really, really bored with your clothes.  I think I've held off getting rid of these because, technically they're in really good condition (that's what happens when you barely wear something, it stays brand new).  I've kept convincing myself that it would be wasteful to get rid of them and that I'll wear them "one day".  Well, "one day" still hasn't come.

I also noticed a couple of themes in the work tops that I did like.  Not only tend they tend to be more recent purchases (duh) but they also seemed to be things that I'd bought because I really liked them or thought they were unique, not because I thought they fit some professional uniform.  I also seemed to have been pretty successful with finding long-sleeved blouses that I liked (this includes 3/4 length if we're going to be picky).  My favorites are similar to this style:

I think I like them because they are an easy piece to dress-up for work or dress down with a pair of jeans.  It's also easy to change up their look--I can tuck them into a pencil skirt or wear them with cropped pants and flats for an easy work look.

I found something similar with the only work sweater that I made the cut.  I don't always love J.Crew's stuff.  For one thing, they seem to be really over priced right now, but I have kind of fallen in love with their Tippi Sweater, for a lot of the reasons that I also like my 3/4 length blouses.

They're kind of a perfect weight for layering and can easily transition Fall to Winter to Spring.  Something I can wear for 9 months of the year is pretty good investment in my book.  And, yes, I might have decided to buy this sweater in a lot of different colors.  It doesn't count if they have different patterns, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment