Friday, May 17, 2013

Decision Processes

After rambling on and on yesterday trying to explain my rationale for each of my purchases . . . I realized that what I was really trying to explain was how this project has started to change my approach to shopping.  In the past, my thought process went a lot like this:




Ok, maybe that's a little simplistic, but I didn't really think holistically about how that piece would fit in my wardrobe, whether it would go with items I already owned, or (gulp) whether I would actually ever wear it.   This was at its worst when I was shopping for things that I thought I needed--like when I first started to build my professional wardrobe.  I thought dressing like a professional meant lots of boring suits and shirts and so that's what I bought (in every color known to man).  Shopping for those items was a chore and it never really crossed my mind that I could find things that were not only functional but that I actually enjoyed wearing. 
 
(to clarify, I never bought things that I felt ugly in or really, really hated.  But I never thought of my work clothes as really being an extension of my personal lack of style)
 
Now, I would say my thought process when I buy something looks a lot more like this:
 


DecisionProcess title=

easel.ly


Well, it's a lot more convoluted :) The biggest change is that my first criteria is whether or not I really like the item--is it at least a 4 on my rating scale?  If the answer is "no" then usually I put it back.  If I don't love it, then it doesn't matter if it's filling a need in my wardrobe because it will eventuallyend up in my donate pile.  (there are some obvious exceptions to this.  Underwear for example.  Or if you get hydraulic fuel spilled on yourself during a work trip, like Mr. C and it's between buying something you're not crazy about or showing up to work naked.  Never choose naked). 
 
If I do love it, then I start to figure out whether or not it's something I actually need.  I definitely struggle a little bit with the love/need thing.  If I really "love" something it becomes frighteningly easy to figure out why I "need" it.  Anyone else have that problem? It also happens when someone brings pastries into the office.  All of a sudden "second breakfast" becomes absolutely necessary to my survival.   
 
When I get stuck, I usually go on ahead and buy it, as long as it's something I can return.  I've found that trying items on at home, in the comfort of my less-than flattering mirror, is a really easy way to figure out whether or not I should keep it.  Plus you can see if it really does go with that black skirt or it really does look good belted over jeans.
 
I'm obviously still figuring out this whole, becoming a better shopper thing.  But, I will say, for those 5 items I bought, I probably returned at least 10 items.  That's progress, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment