Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Shoppers Block

You know that feeling when you're staring at a blank page and you can't think of anything to write? This always seems to happen when you're under a deadline . . . that's how I've felt about shopping lately.  I know that I need work tops, especially summer work tops, but every shopping attempt has been a complete bust.  I can't seem to get excited about anything I'm seeing in the stores or on-line and I feel like I shouldn't be buying other items until I figure out this whole top situation.

This has been compounded by the fact that we are starting to enter summer time in DC.  If you're not familiar with DC weather, summer here is basically like living on top of a swamp.  I love myself some maxi dresses and summer casual wear, but between June and August (let's not lie to ourselves, September), I hate dressing for work.  Other thing I hate in the summer time? Riding public transportation.  Being on the petite side means you're at most people's armpit level . . . suddenly you know waaay too much about other people's personal hygiene.  I'm glaring at you mister business man who decided he didn't need deodorant today. 


But back to shopping . . . honestly it's a pretty strange sensation.  I've never had any problem spending other people's my own money before, especially when it comes to clothes.  But, there's something about focusing on what you need that takes some of the sexiness out of shopping.  (Isn't the whole point, other than not going naked, to blow off steam after the long workday?!?!?!).  

The other thing I've run into is that a lot of the tops I'm seeing right now are made of synthetic fabrics  (which doesn't seem to make them cheaper, btw).  I don't have anything against synthetic fabrics, per se, but the only thing that makes summer in DC even less tolerable is being trapped in a polyester tent of your own sweat.  I've learned that the best approach (other than avoiding the outdoors) is to wear natural, breathable fabrics.  

I'm trying to stick with my goals and buy things that I would enjoy wearing (and would probably mean I'd wear them more often) and that are versatile.  But, once you take out things that are 100 percent polyester, it has been increasingly difficult to find things that I really love (at a price that I'm willing to pay).  

Sooo, any suggestions for getting over shoppers block?

No comments:

Post a Comment