Monday, October 21, 2013

Top-less No More

Just as I was about to resign myself to wearing the same 12 blouses all the time (or giving up and just wearing dresses the rest of the year, the shopping gods smiled on me and I was finally made a dent in my top deficit (let's not talk about the corresponding dent in my wallet).  Since it seems like I'm not the only girl struggling with this issue.  I thought I'd pass on the good karma and share  some of my recent (and a few not so recent) finds.  A couple of things to note: 1) you might notice I'm partial to solid colors and simple shapes, (I'm pretty sure that's a good tip-off for me in understanding my personal style). 2) I might have a slight silk blouse obsession. 


I have this shirt in the light grey and I LOVE it.  Seriously, I'm planning on buying more in multiple colors, especially that navy and maybe the pine (did I mention slight obsession).  If you're not familiar with Everlane, you should definitely check them out. Mr. C and I both love them and I'm kind of hoping Santa brings me one of their cashmere sweaters).  Two things to note with this shirt, versus the J.Crew shirt below 1) it's a thicker silk, which makes it slightly less versatile for warmer months, and also less sheer. 2) their sizing can run a bit big and they don't carry anything smaller than an XS.  For reference, I'm a 0/2P in J Crew's blouses and an XS in Everlane.  It's fine for me, but if you're any smaller you might have issues or find it's a bit long.

I picked this shirt up for $25 during one of J.Crew's sales this summer and it quickly became one of the most worn items in my wardrobe.  I also have it in a bright neon red and am eying that maroon color. It's the perfect balance of slightly sheer but perfectly work appropriate (well in more conservative offices you might want to wear a cami, but it's up to you).  It's definitely an item that goes on sale frequently, so I wouldn't recommend buying it at full price. Update: As of this morning, I discovered that my dry cleaner shrunk this shirt :( please excuse me while I go throw a silk shirt funeral and go buy a new one.



Proof I can like things that aren't silk! This one I don't own (yet), but I tried it on in the store and really loved it.  I'm planning on picking it up on my next J.Crew trip. If you have a longer torso like I do, peplum can be a bit tricky, but this one was just right and the fabric is a really nice weight. It did run big though so you might have to size down.


Classic Plains Poly
Classic Plains T
During my French Connection shopping extravaganza, I was pleasantly surprised by the selection of blouses in their Basics collection.  I wasn't expecting much since they broke my no-synthetic fabrics rule, but was surprised at how comfortable and breathable they both are. The t-shirt on the right has a silky front which makes it professional enough for work and it drapes really nicely.  Maybe I should reconsider polyester?






Finally, not everyone can pull off wearing a giant bow around their neck (I certainly can't) but my friend tried on this top in the cream and it looked AH-mazing on her. If bows are your thing, definitely                                    check it out.






2 comments:

  1. I currently own two of that jcrew cream silk blouse. I can't get enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I totally forgot we started a blog called "coffee breaks" until I saw your comment :)

    ReplyDelete