Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Bag Review: Kate Spade 'Jeanne' Satchel vs. the Vince Camuto 'Max'

As I mentioned, I was quite excited for the Nordstrom Anniversary sale and I had some pretty specific items that I was looking for. At the top of the list was a new bag for grad school.  These were my criteria:
  • Size: Needs to be able to fit a laptop, textbooks/notebooks, as well as all my normal purse essentials (chargers, coffee mug, lunch, wallet, etc).  Also, I'd prefer a bag with a cross body strap.
  • Professional looking: Needs to allow me to move seamlessly between the professional school worlds
  • Sturdy: I am looking at this is a bit of an investment so I want it to last
  • Material: Leather
  • And, finally, it must be:

I mean, a bag has to have a bit of style, right?

* * *

There were two bags that jumped out at me from the Nordstrom sale.  And, I decided to order them both so that I could compare them in person. (free shipping and free returns versus having to navigate the masses at Pentagon City . . . It was an easy decision)

    
                                 Vince Camuto 'Max' Satchel

 
Kate Spade 'Hancock Park - Jeanne' Satchel


So how did they measure up?
Style (aka zazziness): First off, both are beautiful bags. The picture above doesn't do the Kate Spade justice. In person, it's a gorgeous, soft pewter. The Vince Camuto is pretty true to the picture but less boxy. The camel color of the body and the maroon flap contrast really nicely. So on "zazziness" both win.

Professional Looking: The Vince Camuto has a fun preppy vibe that I think suits my personal style a little more, but the Kate Spade feels a little more elegant and refined—stopping just short of the "ladies who lunch” category I could definitely see carrying both to interviews but, on professionalism, I think the Kate Spade has the slight advantage.

Sturdiness/Material: Both bags are leather, but the Kate Spade is definitely of a higher quality. The leather is really soft and supple. It also has those nice little "feet" on the bottom of the bag so it's not resting directly on the ground. That said, the Vince Camuto has a much sturdier shape. I put a few books in each bag and the Kate Spade immediately started sagging on the bottom, while the Vince Camuto held its shape. The Vince Camuto's strap also felt a little stronger.

Size: Turns out, I have a little bit of trouble visualizing dimensions.  I thought, based on the measurements that either bag would work for school, but, when they arrived, I quickly realized that they were both too small.  Here’s a photo of the bags with my laptop and two textbooks in them (the Vince Camuto is on top):



As you can see, not alot of room.  I truly wish I could be one of those women who can carry a cute, small bag and look flawless all day.  But that’s just not me.  My entire life is in my purse. Seriously, if a zombie apocalypse happens, I would have no problem surviving (not to mention a heavy purse makes a great weapon if you’re ever attacked.  And, yes, I’ve actually considered these scenarios).  So I know that I need a big bag for school—something that won’t just fit my school supplies, but probably a coffee mug, snacks (girl gotta eat!), wallet, zombie survival kit (ok that one’s a joke), toiletries, etc. So, the grad school bag search continues.  Maybe I should just consider a rolling suitcase? 

A couple of last notes on the size: On paper, the two bags are practically the same, though the Kate Spade is not as deep. However, the Kate Spade tapers up a little at the top, which makes it slightly less roomy inside.  The Vince Camuto’s square shape and sturdier construction means it can hold a little more.  Bottom line, if you were looking for a bag for work or you carry fewer items than I do, either of these bags would be great.

6 comments:

  1. I like how you just bought both bags

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. shhhh, don't tell Brian ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My cousin owns a Kate Spade Satchel in white color and that is really beautiful. So I was wondering if I can get one in black color at some decent price.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Richel! I recommend signing up for the Kate Spade emails. They have clearance sales pretty frequently with items up to 75% off. You can also try one of the Kate Spade outlets or by checking www.lastcall.com. I hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does the kate spade fit macbook 13"? I like it but not sure then i google and found this review. That's really useful! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the review! Yes, it does fit a macbook 13". It's a gorgeous bag, you'll really enjoy it!

      Delete