Tuesday, July 2, 2013

New York State of Mind

So if you haven't guessed (or if I was so excited I already told you) . . . I have some pretty big news (sorry, Mom, no, I'm not pregnant).

We are moving!!!! 

To New York!!!!*

Why, might you ask? Because we're a little bit crazy I'm enrolling in a full-time MBA program.  I'm pretty excited, giddy, and a little freaked out.  I've lived in DC for nearly 7 years and I know I'm going to miss it.  But, this is the right move for me, professionally, and I've always wanted to live in New York.  

This is from when we were recovering from apartment hunting on Saturday with Micheladas (for me) and beer (for Mr. C) on the rooftop bar at Pod 39.  Mr. C must have been exhausted because somehow I managed to convince him that it wasn't at all hipstery (also I was obsessed with that girl's green dress)



People definitely dress differently in New York.  And, it's not just because it made me re-think the mullet dress style or because I didn't see a single woman wearing tennis shoes with a suit there.  If you do this and I know you, I'm sorry . . . but please stop.  There are way too many comfortable, cute commuting shoes out there for you to go out in public like that.

Walking around, I was struck by how much variety there was.**  It seems that in DC every one has the same litany of J. Crew, Banana Republic, Ann Taylor and so on, and so on. . . (not judging, I'm definitely guilty of this!)  . . . It was refreshing and inspiring to see people of all ages dressing in such a wide variety of styles.  It's also forced me to think (I know, more thinking) about what this will mean for project.  Obviously, I'll still need a semi professional wardrobe for interviews, etc.   But moving to a new city and becoming a student is going to change what a "functional" wardrobe means, for me, and I have a feeling New York is going to have a pretty big impact on my personal style (err, hopefully it will give me one)

* * *

  • Anyone have any tips for navigating a big life change like this?  
  • How did you adapt your wardrobe without breaking the bank?


*Well, I'm moving first and Mr. C is going to (hopefully) follow in by the end of the year.  

**Though, funny story, Mr. C was wearing his new favorite combo of a chambray shirt and red pants and we ran into another couple where the guy was wearing the exact same thing.  So, not everyone is unique in New York ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment