Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Back to School

uhhh, so remember that closet project I'm working on? The one where I analyze everything I own and try to optimize my purchases?  Yeah . . . once again, I've gotten side tracked.  Honestly, it's just been a lot more fun to day dream about my new NYC apartment and distract myself with the Nordstrom anniversary sale than to think strategically about my wardrobe.  Let's just blame it on the fact that I am probably just a little delirious from this heat.

Over the next three months, my lifestyle (and consequently what I define as functional) is going to change a lot.  For one thing, I'm going to be unemployed for pretty much the first time ever since graduating college (initiate panic mode), which has already had an impact on my shopping habits.   I'm also going to be moving to a city where people dress really differently than they do in DC (probably less seersucker and bow ties).  And, I'm going to be a full-time student.

All of this means that I'm going to have to adjust my closet "model".  My original, very rough "model" only had three criteria:


Point 2 is still applicable.  After all, I'm moving to New York, not the Artic circle.  Point 3 still applies as well since that gets at the idea of utility.  But, numero uno definitely needs to change.

Instead of sitting in an office everyday, I'm going to be in classes, study groups, and (hopefully) going to interviews.  My wardrobe will need to get me through all of that and transition to after-school networking events and happy hours.  Somehow I don't think my undergrad uniform of jeans, heels, and a polo (don't judge, I was in a sorority), will cut it.  But, on the other hand, I'm not sure I'll be needing a closet full of traditional office-wear either.

As you might imagine, this makes shopping and analyzing my wardrobe a little tricky right now.  But, as anyone who's worked with data probably knows, vague goals and changing priorities are not uncommon.  So, in the meantime what's a shopaholic girl to do? How do I put together a "back to school" wardrobe? And what do I own now that will make the transition?

No comments:

Post a Comment