Wednesday, November 6, 2013

A Day in the Life (aka an MBA1's stream of consciousness)


If anyone had told me that grad school would be the busiest time of my life, I probably would have laughed.  Where are all the fun parties all my law school friends talked about? Yet, here I am, 3 months in, working harder than I ever have and occasionally questioning my life decisions.  Remember when I had a job? Time to hang out with friends? Time to blog and shop for clothes? So, for all the family and relatives and random strangers who might wonder if I've dropped off the face of the earth.  Here's a glimpse at a typical day in my life.
* * * 
7:30 AM--Why is my alarm is going off? Also, are the women doing Tai Chi across the street listening to the same song, again? How do they not get tired of it?  Can you tell I'm cranky in the morning?

7:40 AM--It's time for the daily experiment with New York water pressure. On good days it comes out scalding hot and others it decides to come out in spurts along with a disconcerting rattling sound. Kind of like a janky jacuzzi spout. I'm waiting for the day that it disappears to a trickle and I have to go to school with shampoo in my hair.

7:50 AM--First cup of many, many, many cups of coffee for the day.  Try to catch up on emails for my clubs and consulting projects.  Usually at this point I realize that I have a meeting I forgot about and I need to dress up. This completely throws off the outfit I'd planned for the day. I proceed to tear through my closet frantically.

8:30 AM--Decide that I just have to wear what I have on. People can deal. Throw everything in my bag and then dash out of the door with a granola bar.  Get to the bottom of my fifth floor walkup and realize I forgot something (a charger, a snack, "did I turn off my straightener?").  Commence internal debate of whether or not it's worth it to go back up stairs. Nine times out of ten I decide it's something I can live without (seriously those stairs are giving me buns of steel but they're going to kill me). Waive at the Tai Chi ladies and make a mental note to donate some music to them.

8:55 AM--Get into my first class of the day and curse the scheduling person who gave Block One, 9 AM classes every day of the week.  Some small part of me hopes that they have a small infant who cries through the night. Karma's a b*tch.


* * * 
This is usually the point in the day where all sense of normalcy 
goes off the rails and the day becomes a blur.  
* * * 

There's class.  Meetings. More class.  Snarky texts with my classmates. Possibly some complaining about homework. Many cups of cafeteria coffee. Running up and down the stairs to my 4th floor locker (seriously. buns. of. steel.) More meetings.  Where can I find coffee? Do I have time to work on my resume or cover letter.  More stairs and meetings. Occasionally time to eat . . . Is it 6 already? Holy sh*t it's 8. Where did the day go? Why am I still at school? Is accounting really that important? Maybe I should go home before everyone else realizes how nutty I am.

9 PM--Good thing I thought ahead and made dinner for the week on Sunday else it would be too tempting to order in from the Congee house down the street.  Also, White Cheddar Cheetos go with red wine, right?

10 PM--Decide accounting actually is important. Buckle down for a few hours of homework and researching companies I'd like to reach out to.

12 PM--Maybe it's not that important. It's time for bed or an episode of Scandal . . . life's all about tradeoff's, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment