Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Yes, another bag review

I've never been much of a bag person.  It always seemed like waaay too much work to have multiple bags.  Inevitably, if I tried to switch purses, I'd forget something important like my lip gloss or wallet or work ID or umbrella . . . you get the picture.  Basically, shattering any impression that I'm a put together person.

To be honest, shoes (and jeans) were always my own personal cup of cryptonite.  But, somewhere in my quest for the perfect school bag, all of that changed.  That and discovering the wonder of bags within bags.  Are you aware of these amazing things?

Container Store: Mesh Pouches
Some kind hearted soul thought to give me a bunch of these before I left for grad school and now, instead of having to transfer a hundred zillion 15 items from one purse to the next, I can just move three little bags (3 is much, much better than 15).  Plus, it keeps everything super organized so that I'm not constantly digging through the bottom of my purse trying to find that illusive tube of chapstick.

Now that this whole new world of owning multiple purses/bags has opened up my wallet, I have been on the hunt for a 2nd school bag.  As much as I adore my current bag, I needed something for more casual days.  It came to a head on the day I had to resort to carrying a free backpack I got during orientation that has the NYU logo plastered all over it.  Basically, it was fashion suicide and I knew things had to change, fast.  So, when I spotted the gray felt inside-out bag in the Kate Space Saturday store in the West Village, I knew it was perfect (it also comes in purple felt and a full leather version).

One of the best things about this bag (aside from the fact that I can show off my le pen markers on the outside, to the eternal joy of my inner organizational geek), is that it fits so well with my personal style. A little preppy? Check.  Whimsical and fun? Check. Do I feel like a slight bad*ss? Check.  (though that doesn't take much.  I'm pretty sure I feel like a bad*ss whenever I jay walk).

It's important to note, that the dimensions of the bag are a bit smaller than my other school bag.  It generally fits my water bottle, laptop, wallet, moleskin notebook, and some organizational pouches with  my chargers and daily essentials (chocolate is a daily essential, right?).  If I'm being super creative I can usually fit in a 3-ring binder.  Because it's slightly smaller, I tend to use this bag on days, when I know I won't need to carry my entire life around with me.  It's probably also slightly better for my back--I was not built for manual labor.

So there you go, another new bag, and still no new boots or sweaters.  I may freeze to death this winter but at least I'll have a cute bag to tote around.

On a side note, one thing that has facilitated being able to carry a smaller bag is figuring out how to open my school locker.  Turns out working a locker is not a skill you get from being homeschooled.

(P.S. have you checked out Kate Spade Saturday? If not, you should.  Their stuff somehow manages to be adorable, modern, and functional all at the same time. Plus, the price point is pretty affordable)

No comments:

Post a Comment