Thursday, December 12, 2013

Four finals down!

It's official, guys. in 5 days, my first semester of grad school will be done. As you might have guessed from my sporadic posting . . . it's been a crazy semester last few weeks. Thankfully, I turned in my 4th final last night and have a little bit of a break before the last one. I have a lot of fun posts planned for my winter break so keep tuned . . . I want to talk about:

  • The state of my closet, 
  • How to dress for that MBA interview (or any interview)
  • Understanding value when you're shopping/Navigating those sales
  • And, easy tips for analyzing your own closet  (don't worry, I don't think everyone should create a database of their wardrobe)
I also have an exciting new logo that I'll be posting in the next couple of weeks. In between, I'll be catching up on my favorite shows, eating waaaaay too many holiday cookies, and probably playing in the snow. Before I get a jump-start on all of that, I wanted to talk about some of the non-school-related things that I've learned over the last few months.

* * *

1. Booties, Booties, Booties, Booties, Rockin everywhere

My best/most worn purchases of the last two months were two pairs of booties--one black, one brown. First, they give this 5'3" quarter asian a little bit of much needed height. Secondly, they're insanely comfortable. And, finally, they're soooo versatile. I literally where them with everything. In fact, I'm pretty sure I went to sleep in them one night. (booties go with pink polka dot PJs right? Right) Seriously, if you look at value on a per-wear basis, these are the cheapest thing I own. It's especially helped me deal with the fact that I can't find any riding or winter boots that I like and navigate the awkward period where the weather couldn't decide if was September or January.

2. Simple is Better

In my pre-MBA days, I had a lot of time to think about what I was going to wear each day (that was also when I got 9 hours of sleep a night, worked out regularly, and vegetables were still a word in my vocabulary). The reality is, when life gets busy, you have to streamline. This may offend some sleepless parents out there, but I imagine it's somewhat analogous to adjusting to life with a baby. (ok, maybe you're not taking care of another human, but you get no sleep, your hair is in a bun constantly, you're on your feet all day . . . ). Out of sheer necessity, I've come up with a bit of an MBA uniform: 

Some sort of skinny pant + A Sweater or Loose Silk Blouse + Necklace or Scarf + Booties = Successful Outfit
(Well throw showering and brushing your teeth in there too. It's the little things, guys). This is what works for me, but I've definitely seen a lot of variations on this from my classmates. It runs the gamut from skinny jeans and blazers to a lot of loose dresses, boots, and tights combinations.

3. Back to Basics

I've referred to the fact that my shopping style has really changed since I started this project. The biggest switch is that I'm much more focused on finding really good, quality basics that are versatile and multi-season. When you don't have a lot of time to think about what you're wearing or on a grad school budget, having good foundation pieces is the difference between showing up effortlessly put together and dashing into class at the last minute like a crazy woman. Plus, it makes it easier to do that whole mysterious "day to night" transition that magazines and fashion blogs are always talking about.

4. Skinny Ponte Pants Are Your Best Friends

One of my last purchases before I left DC was an impulse buy (I know, I know it goes against everything I stand for) at T.J. Maxx. I found these really inexpensive skinny black pants with some cute moto detail and bought them on a whim. I had no idea how much I would end up wearing them. Did I say booties were  the best-per-wear item in my closet? I lied. It's these pants, which I picked up for $25 and have worn at least once a week for the last 3 months ($25/(3 months x 4 weeks) = $2.08 and I still have another 4 months where I can where them before it starts to get warm. Diminishing marginal returns, I scoff at you). I have no idea where to find the ones I have, but these Madewell ones are pretty similar. Though as a heads up, if you have a more muscular lower body, they might not work on you. They were too stretchy for me

The key to the right skinny pants is obviously fit. You don't want something so tight or stretchy that it looks like you're wearing leggings or, even worse, gives you camel toe (don't snort, I have seen it and shuddered). I found that pants that actually have less spandex/stretch in them and a little more structure work best for me. I'm actually hoping to pick up some more of these in different sytles

Why skinny pants over just jeans? For one thing, it instantly looks like you put a little more effort into your outfit. And, it's infinitely easy to dress up or down. As much as I love my favorite jeans, they're not always appropriate for some school functions. I keep a blazer in my locker at school and an extra pair of heels so that if something pops up last minute, I can change out of my beloved booties and look perfectly appropriate. I've also been dressing them down with some loafers and rolling up the cuffs for a fun menswear inspired look.

* * *

There you have it. The key to me dressed in the morning.  What do you think? Do you have a uniform (if so, please share it. I feel like I need to start mixing it up a little bit)

No comments:

Post a Comment