Friday, January 24, 2014

Pinspiration - Interview Style

Interview season is in full swing here at school. Even though no one has class for another week and a half, everyone is walking around in some sort of business/professional attire. That or yoga pants. It's a really odd juxtaposition. After a semester of networking events, I was starting to feel like my professional wardrobe needed a breath of new life--especially since my new suit is rather distinctive. Naturally, as with most things, I turned to Pinterest in my hour of need. 

In between looking at "25 best crockpot recipes" and pictures of kale salads, I spotted this image (source: The Classy Cubicle). It was one of the few times I'd looked at a Pinterest image and thought "huh, I actually already own items like this" (What, you're surprised I don't have a tulle princess skirt stocked away somewhere?)

I tend not to wear both pieces of my suit together. Instead, I usually split them up and wear a black blazer. I also keep it pretty simply--normally just a silk blouse and really simple jewelry. But I like the idea of mixing it up with a colorful sweater and chunky necklace. Here's how I would do a similar look using items that I actually own. 
Pinterest Inspiration-French Connection Suit

Sweater: J.Crew / Blazer: Tom Ford  / Pants: French Connection / Oxfords: American Apparel / Bag: Kate Spade Saturday / Necklace: Forever 21 

In the photo, she is wearing the J.Crew sweater, similar to the Tippi style, that I've talked about before, but I own it in mint instead of pink, so that's what I would use. I did like the pop of pink though so I might try to incorporate it in either a necklace or earrings. I also think this would be an easy look to dress down for a more casual interview or setting. I'd just lose the jacket and switch out the shoes for some oxfords or simple flats. 


What do you think? Do you ever turn to pinterest for outfit inspiration? 

*Note: If I couldn't find the exact item that I owned, I found something really similar to use in the Polyvore set. For instance, while I would love to say that I own that Tom Ford blazer, I sadly do not. But, it's similar in cut to an Ann Taylor suit jacket that I have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment