Friday, January 17, 2014

Drink this. Read This

TGIF! 
I guess . . . when you're a student on winter break things like weekends and non-weekends take on a slightly different connotation. I'm actually in DC with Mr. C this week. I'm planning on catching up with folks, going to some of my favorite DC haunts, maybe checking out Derek Brown's new-to-me Sherry Bar, and also getting in a little bit of shopping. Belle of Capital Hill Style posted about this gorgeous Elizabeth and James ring and now I want to find something similar. And, I've decided to add another item to my New Year's fashion resolutions: Find a new leather jacket.  It gives me an excuse to make the trip out to Pentagon City to visit the Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack (it doesn't hurt that there's also a taco bell out there . . . just saying)

What do you have planned? Even if it's just sitting at home catching up on the newest season of Archer or Downton Abbey, you should whip up a French 75 for yourself. This was my signature cocktail at our New Year's party and it was a huge hit.  A big plus? They're actually really easy to make. Some French 75's are made with champagne and cointreau, but I like to sub in a dry prosecco and lemon juice instead.
French 75
If the drink is too tart, just add more prosecco and simple syrup. If it's too sweet, spoon in a little extra lemon juice. I've made this with both fresh and bottled lemon juice and don't find there's a big difference. Also, you can buy simple syrup or it's really easy to make and takes about 5 minutes. Finally, don't be scared off by the gin. Even if you don't like gin, you're going to love these. I promise. 

* * *
While you're sipping on one of these (or like me and enjoying an espresso on the couch), you might want to check out some of these reads.

The Business of Fashion had an article on the growth of ethical brands. Consumers are increasingly interested in knowing where their clothes are made and how. And, they're willing to pay more for quality. Apparently Everlane isn't the only player in this field anymore and it's going to be interesting to see if this is just a fad or (hopefully) a permanent move to more transparency.

Nordstrom got a lot of flak last year for tracking shoppers' movements through their cell phone signals. True to its customer-centric roots, the retailer stopped the program when customers were unhappy. According to this article, other retailers aren't being so upfront and apparently cell phone tracking is going strong. I'm still not sure what I think about this. But, I don't think the examples the article cite of how the information is being used are that convincing. One restaurant realized its customers went to the gym and so they selling gym shirts. The more telling data was that their customers frequent night clubs. A better move might have been to amp up their late night delivery options. 

Finally, both Refinery29 and A Cup of Jo talked about living in tiny apartments this week. I thought my apartment was on the smaller side until I read about this couple who live in a 240 sq ft studio and have a baby on the way . . . I will never complain about space again. On a side note, it probably forces them to really be careful about what they put in their wardrobes and I'm curious how they manage their closets.

* * *

That's it! Enjoy le weekend! And check back next week for some more closet posts (hint: I'm trying to build a Pinterest version of my closet) and some posts on what to wear to that all important interview.

P.S. want more cubicle catwalk? Follow me on twitter @cubicle_catwalk, on Pinterest (I also contribute to the Corporate Fashionasta style board), or on Instagram @MrsVonC. 

1 comment:

  1. Nice story about drink, but Herbal Drinks Online is also best for party, this is safe for all people.

    ReplyDelete