Monday, January 13, 2014

A Closet Update

(Filipino Home cooking, Mini potpies, Drawing on foggy windows, DUMBO)
How was your weekend? Mine was lovely :) Mr. C was able to take some extra time off of work and we got to spend some much needed time together hanging out in New York. We also made our first Brooklyn Trek! We spent a rainy afternoon exploring Dumbo (which apparently stands for "Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass").  Mr. C got a haircut and hot shave at the Barber on Pearl and while I wandered around the West Elm Market, one of West Elm's concept stores. It was a pretty cool space with a coffee bar, little cafe area, and a ton of those household items that you never knew you needed, but suddenly can't live without . . . It's a good thing Mr. C interrupted my almost-shopping spree to tell me that he was done with his haircut. We decided to escape the rain by grabbing a couple of beers at reBar. Overall, our first Brooklyn excursion was a success. Hopefully, it's just the first of many!

* * *

As I mentioned, one of my style resolutions is to finish my closet cataloguing project. I got re-inspired over winter break (in part by reading this blog and in part by just getting some sleep). In re-evaluating where I was at, I realized that, between moving, having two apartments right now, donating clothes, and new purchases . . . I kinda lost track of what was in my closet. I also felt that while the data I was collecting was a good start, that I needed to start adding some additional data, including:

Price (to help with cost-per-wear)
Condition of the item 
Whether I thought it should be replaced in the next year
Year purchased
A notes section
Unfortunately, this means going back through and doing another data pull to update the info for each of the items in my closet. This may take a while, but it does help that I've done this before.* I'm also only focusing on things that are here in my New York apartment. I figure if I've lived without it for 4 months, than it's probably something that should go. 

As with the first time I catalogued my closet, I started with pants/jeans. The total count is 24 (9 jeans, 15 pairs of pants). And, in case you want to judge the number of jeans go ahead, remember, I am a student ;)

 The good news is that this time around I don't have any items that ranked below a 3 in my scale. In fact, the average rating is a 3.95. Hopefully, this means I've finally weeded out most of the items that I wear infrequently or don't like! The most common brands of pants that I own are Ann Taylor/Ann Taylor Loft (this surprised me a bit since I haven't shopped there in a while) and Club Monaco. However, the Ann Taylor/Ann Taylor Loft pants had a lower rating on average (3.6) than the Club Monaco pants (4.5). The brand with the highest rating on average, was not surprisingly my AG jeans. 

  I also decided to look at my pants, by style/cut. Over half of my pants/jeans are of the skinny/cropped ankle variety. Part of that is obviously because of what's in style right now. BUT, I also think that this is the fit that tends to look best on me and be the most versatile. In case you were curious, here the breakdown, by style. 

*And not just in my personal life, one of the things you learn when working with data sets is that pulling new data or re-doing a data call becomes a fact of life. You just hope that it doesn't happen two weeks before your report is due because someone decided they wanted you to add a new metric to your analysis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment