Monday, February 10, 2014

Organizing Diaries: Regaining Control of Your Closet

Twice a year, whenever the seasons changed, I'd go through a closet purge. I'd diligently pull all of my spring or winter clothes out from under my bed. Switch them out for the items currently hanging in my closet and get rid of anything that I didn't wear anymore. It seemed like a good system. But, somehow, between forgetting what I had storage and hanging on to worn out clothes out of nostalgia,  I started to accumulate a fairly large, "underground" wardrobe. It took four moves over the space of two years and one closet cataloguing project (plus a little help from Gwyneth), to teach me that I was doing it all wrong. These are the things that I learned:


I know it's tempting to to stash away your "winter clothes" or your "summer clothes" when they're not in season. But, the danger is that you start to forget what you own. When that happens and you're out shopping you're more likely to buy something that you already own or that you don't need.

Also, it's a lot easier to stash clothes in a box under the bed than to get rid of them. You can pretend that you'll wear that sorority t-shirt again. Or that that the hole in your favorite sweater isn't really that big and that you'll "totally wear it next year."  THESE ARE LIES. You won't wear it again because it looks like something a homeless person would be ashamed to put on. This leads me to step 2.



I know that's quite the list. But, be brutal. If it's an item that you think you can't live without, than frame it on your wall. If that sounds ridiculous, it is. But, so is hanging on to items that you can't/don't wear. If it's an essential (like a white t-shirt, blazer, or silk blouse), than make a note to replace it in the near future. I promise you, as soon as you feel the scent of brand new clothing, you won't remember that ratty T.


As much as possible, I like to hang up my clothes. Obviously that doesn't work for all items (some sweaters should be folded). But, the principle is the same. Just  make sure that your clothes are put away in such a way that you can see all of them and they're neatly organized (See Step 4 below). That way you remember what you have and you'll reduce the risk that you'll buy things you don't need. I've also found that just being able to see all my clothes has made me a lot more creative in putting together outfits. All of a sudden you have a lot more options than you did when everything was jumbled together!

If your clothes won't fit in your closet/drawers, you probably have too many of them. And, this is from someone who deals with the reality of New York storage space. Don't believe me? Do you really wear all of them on a regular basis? Probably not. My guess is you wear the same 20 items in a pretty regular rotation.

Want to prove me wrong? Set a challenge for yourself to wear every single thing in your closet in the next 60 days. If you do and you still like all your clothes, please email me 'cause I'd like to talk to you. (I'd also really like to see how you styled that old bridesmaids dress for an everyday look)


Basically, organize that sh*t. Some people like to do it by color. Personally, I do it by item type. (That's just how my brain works. I get thrown off trying to figure out what to do with patterned items.) All my blazers are together, silk blouses, dresses etc. That way you know where things are and where to find them. It also helps with seeing what you actually own. Is your closet overwhelmingly filled with black and grey items? Maybe you should consider injecting it with some more color. Do you have an inordinate number of jeans or shirts? Maybe you should hold off on buying anything new in that department.

I know it sounds simple, but if your stuff is organized, it's easier to keep it all where you can see it and avoid the temptation to use seasonal storage (can you tell that I hate that stuff?).



Get rid of those wire hangers that you get from the dry cleaners. There's a reason they're free. And, as much as possible try to get hangers that are a uniform size and style. You'd be amazed how much this helps with keeping your clothes neat and organized. Tip: Ikea actually has really good, thin hangers for a ridiculously cheap price. Rather than hang your pants or skirts over a hanger (am I the only one who used to do this?), get the right tool. I own both of these and they've saved me from having to pick my pants off the bottom of my closet or having to search through everything to find one skirt.


I know that sounds simple. But going through all of this is useless if you have to do it again in six months or a year. For me, this means, making sure that I put my clothes away as soon as they come off my body. It also means that I try my best to just stick to my side of the closet and not view Mr. C's as potential real estate . . .

* * *
This is what helps me keep control of my closet. But, I'm always open to new tips and tricks. So please share yours!

P.S. want more cubicle catwalk? Follow me on twitter @cubicle_catwalk, on Pinterest (I also contribute to the Corporate Fashionasta style board), or on Instagram @MrsVonC. 

No comments:

Post a Comment