Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Shaking the Winter Blues

Sooooo, winter. It's obviously here to stay and it's affecting everyone from Seattle to New York to Atlanta. I don't know about everyone else, but in New York everyone just seems resigned to the fact that we aren't going to be shaking this anytime soon and all we can do is grin and bear it. (By grin and bear it, I mean hole up in my apartment with my chips, queso, and a bottle of wine until spring comes).

From the messy commutes, to the salt that gets all over your clothes and stains your shoes, it can feel like winter has taken over every part of your life. To add insult to injury between the elements and the radiator heating systems native to New York apartments, the weather can do quite a number on your skin as well. Here are a few of the products that have helped me get through all this and still feel somewhat, human. 
Banishing Winter Blues
1. Burt's Bees Hand Cream: This stuff smells like banana cream pie and feels like butter (basically, I have to be careful not to put it on when I'm hungry). Slathering this on before I go to bed every night is what's saved my skin.

2. Norwegian Formula Hand Cream: When we went to MN for Christmas, my hands became painfully dry and cracked. You know you have a problem when your fingers start snagging on your mittens. My in laws had some of this around and I got hooked. It's got a bit of a chemical smell, but it's AMAZING. My hands healed really quickly and now I have some in my bag at all times.

3. Konjac Cleansing Sponge: I had been going back and forth on whether or not I wanted to get a Clarisonic Mia, but after reading about this sponge on The Glossarie I decided to try it first. Now, I've never had a Clarisonic so I can't compare the two, but I LOVE the Konjac sponge. It's really gentle, extremely portable, and my skin has never felt better. (I'm going to do a post soon comparing the cost of the Konjac versus the Clarisonic)

4. Vitamin D: A few years ago, I went to my Doctor because I was lethargic and seemed to get sick all of the time.  She ran some blood tests and found out I was Vitamin D deficient. (Apparently, not living in southern California and working in an office all day was not good for me). I take these supplements from Trader Joe's and it's made a huge difference. Obviously, I'm not a doctor, so this might not be right for you. But, you can also get vitamin d from foods like mushrooms, fish, cheese, and eggs (and caribbean vacations, of course)

5. Say Yes to Blueberries Eye Treatment: Since 2014 is the last year of my 20s, I figured it was probably time to start using an under eye cream. The problem is most of the ones I've tried feel really heavy and just sit on top of my skin. I like this one because it is super light and absorbs really well. And, it's under $20.

6. Kiehl's Ultra Facial Oil-Free Gel Cream: I have what's called "combination skin" (which I'm pretty sure is what stores just tell you when they aren't sure what to give you). Anyway, I have trouble finding moisturizers that don't make me break out, but still seem to actually, you know, moisturize. I picked some samples of this up on a recent trip to Bloomingdales and I am really happy with it! It's helped combat dry flaky skin and, as a bonus, it serves as a primer too.

* * *
This is how I'm keeping my spirits up over winter (who am I kidding, it's mostly through on-line shopping and seamless orders). How about you? What do you use to survive the polar vortex?

* * *
P.S. want more cubicle catwalk? Follow me on twitter @cubicle_catwalk, on Pinterest, or on Instagram @MrsVonC. 


No comments:

Post a Comment