Thursday, June 13, 2013

Color Wheel

After yesterday's post, I figured I should take a page out of my own play book and try looking at this situation from a different perspective.  Maybe getting a better idea of what types of tops I'm looking for will help me in focus my efforts a little more.


Let's start with what I know . . .
I know I'm looking for versatile, easy pieces that are easy to dress-up or down.  From my tops breakdown, I know that the one summer top  I like is a grey, sleeveless blouse that I can throw a blazer or cardigan over wear into the Fall or even late Spring.

           Ok . . . that's kind of helpful, but I've sort of already been applying this without much luck.  But maybe I've been looking at this the wrong way.  I've been focusing on versatility in terms of style and season, but I haven't really thought about what items will fit with my current wardrobe. I decided to try and look at my work wardrobe in terms of color and see if I could learn anything.


Ok, so I own a lot of black.  Perhaps I should consider a career as a funeral director (or start hanging out with Chazz Reinhold).

Based on this data alone, my best bet would be to only buy items that go with black.  But, things change a little when I narrow my focus.  I decided to only look at the colors of my pants and skirts (since these are the items I need to match my tops too) and also filter out anything that I can't wear in the spring or summer--since that's the season that's the biggest priority for me right now:
There's a lot more room for color here.  There's still a good amount of black but those tend to parts of suits, which I (thankfully) don't have to wear every day.  While I do break up my suits, I would say that I tend to steer away from black in the summer (DC summer survival 101), unless it's an unusually cool day.   So, maybe my best bet would be to focus on items that can go with the other colors in my closet.

Not sure if this will help break my shoppers block, but it's at least a starting point to help me refine my shopping efforts a little more!





No comments:

Post a Comment