Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Consigning

Let's talk about consigning . . . Current only accepts items that are in season, which meant that I had to put my winter/fall items aside for a few months.  Also, they ask you to go through your items and weed out anything that is damaged or stained (which makes complete sense).  Once I'd done that, I was left with 47 pieces that I thought were consignable.  I thought it would be useful to take a closer look and see if I could learn anything by taking a closer look at those items.  First, I wanted to sort them by purpose:

As you can see, work items and casual items were the biggest categories.  It's telling that only 7 were dual-purpose items (those I could wear to both work and on the weekend).  I think I'm learning that those are the pieces that I tend to like more (at least when it comes to tops).  

When I broke it down a little further and looked at my list by item type, this is what it looked like:

It shouldn't be at all surprising that Work Blouses was a big category.  Considering how much I discovered I don't love my work tops (understatement of the year), I'm happy to report that I got rid of 11 tops that were either work or work/weekend.  Not surprisingly, three of them were collared button ups ;)   The other big category was Casual Dresses.  That could be a whole post in and of itself, but let's just say my inner California Girl is to blame for the number of summer dresses I own.  

One of the more painful parts of this was going through and listing each items price (one of the things Current asked for).  Don't worry, I'm not going to share those numbers with you.  That's my deep, dark secret.  Doing this really drove home how many mistaken/impulse purchases I've made.  Like the time I thought I could pull off cropped cargo pants and NOT look like a soccer mom.  Or that whole "vest" category up there.  Why I thought vests were a good work look for me, I still don't understand.  (not to mention I bought a vest and matching cropped pants).  It's underscored even more, the need to really think through my purchases and carefully consider what I need before I buy it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment