Thursday, June 27, 2013

Checking the Roadmap: Part 2


Back in February, I started out with five big picture questions.  Now, that I'm almost five months into my project, I wanted to revisit them and to see if I am on track.  First off . . .

What do I actually own?

I've made some good progress on this one.  So far, I've logged data on 173 items.  53 of which I've set aside to be donated and I'm getting a pretty good idea of what's in my closet.**

What do I actually wear and what do I love wearing?
(er, what can I get rid of?)

Again, I'm definitely making progress on this one.  Though I am still working my way through my wardrobe to figure out how many of those 173 items I actually wear.

I learned that, in the past, I bought a lot of things that I didn't love.  Consequently those items just sat in my closet.  I also had been holding on to a lot of items that were past their prime.  (When you've convinced yourself that that white blouse was originally beige, you know it's time for it to go. TMI, I know).  But looking at my clothes in terms of how much I love actually wearing them (versus how much I love hoarding them) has helped me to be a lot more objective.    

What do I need to make my wardrobe more functional?

Have you met me? My name is K__ and I apparently own all pants and no shirts.  It's the perfect wardrobe for a part-time nudist, but less functional for a working semi professional.  Joking aside, I've really only answered part of this question.  I think this is where I could really benefit from moving beyond my piecemeal analysis and take a more holistic view of my closet.  For example, does the number of dresses I own negate my need for more tops? And, other scintillating questions like that.

Also, I should probably define what "functional" means for me . . . 

What is my personal style?

AND

Once I have all the basics, 
what should I buy to make my wardrobe more "me"?

I'm lumping these two together because in order to answer the second part, I really need to figure out the personal style issue first.  Also, I'm still not entirely sure that it's something I can determine using my current metrics.  (Or it might just tell me I have a complete lack of style).  One thought I had was to figure out who my fashion icons are (Audrey Hepburn, for starters, obvi) and then determine out how well my current wardrobe matches up with their style.  But, I'm not convinced that's the best way and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Though if I succeed and you see an Filipino Audrey walking around DC, please give her a high five . . . 

Le sigh. I think all of this is going to take some deep soul searching so please excuse me while I go read  Teen Vogue . . .  

**In full disclosure, I haven't finished entering in all the items I decided to consign yet so this number will be a big higher. 

No comments:

Post a Comment